Skip To Main Content

Students Experiencing Homelessness

student waiting to get on school bus

Homeless Liaison 
Josh Agpalza
(253) 891-6053

Homeless Outreach Coordinator
Amanda Mangan
(253) 891-6135

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, a provision No Child Left Behind, is the federal law that entitles children who are homeless to a free, appropriate public education, and requires schools to remove barriers to their enrollment, attendance, and success in school.  Children who qualify for homeless status are fully integrated and not segregated/separated from their housed peers for academic instruction.  

We may be able to help if you or your family live in any of the following situations:

  • Living with a friend, relative, or someone else
  • Staying in a motel or hotel
  • Living in an emergency or transitional shelter or a domestic violence shelter
  • Staying in sub-standard housing
  • Living in a car, park, public place, abandoned building, or a bus/train station
  • Living in a campground or an inadequate trailer home
  • Abandoned in a hospital
  • Living in a runaway or homeless youth shelter

How can McKinney Vento help you?

  • Enroll and attend in school immediately, even if you lack documents normally required for enrollment
  • Enroll in the school closest to you or the school you were last enrolled in (school of origin), even if you have been forced to relocate
  • Receive transportation to and from your school of origin
  • Participate in before and after school programs
  • Receive counseling
  • Receive free breakfast and lunch
  • Receive school supplies

This is not an exhaustive list, funds are available to help eliminate barriers and promote academic success. Ask your School Liaison/Counselor for additional information.

Who qualifies for McKinney Vento?

Children and youth:

  • Sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds
  • Living in emergency or transitional shelters
  • Abandoned in hospitals
  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
  • Migratory children and youth living in any of the above situations

How to get started:

Complete the Student Housing Questionnaire (English | Spanish | Russian | Ukrainian) and return to the District Liaison for additional assistance.

Further Resources:

Services for Students Experiencing Homeless Brochure (English)

Services for Students Experiencing Homeless Brochure (Spanish)

Northeast Pierce County Resource Guide 

WA State Requirements